THE SOCIAL PROBLEM
The Access to frontline health services is a major challenge, with public demands for more government Primary Health Centers (PHCs) in the hilly Areas of Panchkula, Haryana.
Often villages may not have transport facilities and may have to walk about 6-7 Kms to avail a health facility
Photographs below give a sense of the unserved hamlets in the area.
ABOUT THE INITIATIVE
Aarogyam is a motorcycle ambulance system run by the district administration at Panchkula, Haryana to reach these unserved geographies in the hilly areas.
The system consists of a set of 6 paramedics who man motorcycle ambulances consisting of a 150cc motorbike fitted with a sidecar stretcher.
The bikes are stationed at designated locations amidst at 6 different clusters of Gram Panchayats (GPs) to cover all of Morni and the Hilly areas of Panchkula. The Emergency Health Relief Services through the initiative are offered to the public, free of charge.
An Aarogyam unit carries a kit to administer multiple services, which can go upto 20 when the service is planned. The most common services being offered by the Aarogyam unit are:
- Attending to physical injuries, some needing immediate attention and stabilization of the patient
- Attending to old-aged patients who need blood pressure and Diabetic Check Ups.
- Attending to cases of severe symptoms of fever or breathing difficulties
- Transporting critical patients to and fro from home and the Primary Health Center (PHC)
- Transporting the ANM to most and often difficult-to-reach Anganwadi Centers to administer vaccinations.
- Administering injections for TB
- Carrying blood samples from the sick.
Aarogyam also spreads awareness in government schools on basic health issues when required by the health department.
So far Aarogyam has been able to bring significant results such as :
- Increase in Immunization : With the help of the Aarogyam , frontline health workers such as ANMs and Anganwadi Workers have been able to reach difficult-to-reach areas on a frequent basis.
- Timely intervention on Critical Cases : The Aarogyam has been invaluable in bringing in critical patients, who have been stabilized after they reached the PHC.
- Access to last mile healthcare : From helping deliver a 48-day injection program to a TB patient to ensuring course of medicine for diabetes for the elderly, the Aarogyam program has created access to last mile health-care in the hilly areas of Morni, by way of a simple phone call. So far the system have been able to attend to more than 4000+ health cases.
The project was launched by the Chief Minister of Haryana , Shri.Manohar Lal Khattar in May 2017 in Panchkula, Haryana
The Project was awarded the Skoch Order of Merit award ( for health services) for the Top 50 projects under the Swacch Bharat Abhiyan, Govt. Of India
Go2C as VKFs Entity, works to support and ensure the Aarogyam reaches its intended geography and audience, while helping increase implementation efficiency. Go2C has also helped support the Aarogyam by bridging gaps in the intiative through direct interim funding.
Website : http://www.redcrosspanchkula.com/Back to page